Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Tuesday 1 May 2012

Review: Gone by Michael Grant

Author: Michael Grant
Publisher:  HarperTeen
Page Count: 558 pages, Paperback
Date Published:  April 28th 2009 (first published June 24th 2008)

Amazon Blurb:
In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.

Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.
Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.
It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...

 My Thoughts: Wow.

Imagine sitting in class one day, listening to you teacher drone on and on about something you couldn't care less about and then suddenly.... Poof. He's gone. Nowhere to be found. Then you realize, every single person aged fifteen or older has disappeared. Now it's up to the kids to find out what has happened and try to survive weird mutations, bullies and hunger. What a concept...

Michael Grant's novel, GONE is one of the most jaw-dropping books I've read in a while. With almost 600 pages, it didn't disappoint. It's fast-paced and seriously dramatic. There's something about the way Grant writes that makes me worried that this is or has happened. I was kind of scared I was going to disappear, or 'poof' as they say in the book. Personally, I believe this book could draw any person in and have them devouring it in a few days.

Character development was really well done in my opinion. There were a lot of different characters that we got to know, as the book's POV alternates between a bunch of different kids. I loved Sam and Astrid, who were two of the main characters. It was really difficult to remember that the kids living in the FAYZ are all fourteen years old or younger. They go through so much in such a small time period, having to take care of a completely isolated town and a ton of little kids. The way the teens all grew up so fast, some in worse ways than others, was impressive and a bit scary. The author did a great job of keeping the characters vivid and real enough to relate to, even though their situation is out of this world.


There were very few things about GONE that bothered me, even slightly. The book was well paced and never stopped, but I did feel myself getting confused about certain things in the middle, with the POVs changing all the time. But other than that small fact, I can't think of much else that I didn't enjoy. It was an extremely amazing book and I can't wait to read HUNGER. It's on my shelf, but I have a big list of books to get through before I even think about it...*sob* If you haven't already read GONE and think you'd enjoy it, I'd suggest going and picking up a copy asap. I really, thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope you do too!

Have a great day/night everyone!
-Kristy

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog i hope you like mine :)

    http://ebonyblacklines.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY need to read this! I love dystopians!
    Funnily enough, I borrowed this from the library and started it a while ago but I didn't get into it, and then it was overdue, and so I returned it without ever finishing it, but I think if I read it again I would probably love it...
    And now I NEED to read this even more after reading your review!

    Catherine
    The Book Parade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've Read it it's soooooooo good and i am only 11 !!!! U need to read it NOW OR NEVER !!!! buy it ASAP or else ur missing out badly :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...