Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Friday 5 July 2013

Review: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Author: Jesse Andrews
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams
Page Count: 295 pages, Hardcover
Date Published: March 1st 2012
Find it on Goodreads: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Source: Purchased

Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.
Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.
Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia—-cue extreme adolescent awkwardness—-but a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is to make a film for her, which turns into the Worst Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives.
And all at once Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight.



There's no way to review this book before saying that this is an odd book. It is unlike anything I have ever read and that's a good thing. It's weird and quirky and hilarious in a way that I'm sure some people wouldn't enjoy, but I personally loved it and am so glad I did.

If any of you watch padfootandprongs07 on YouTube, you will probably know about this book... That's where I heard of it and I am so glad I did. (Thanks, Raeleen!) I was at Chapters and having troubles deciding which book to buy, until I saw this one. I had been dying to read it for so so long and now that I finally did, I must say that this book is very different. It's not written like your typical YA contemporary fiction. It is not a sad book, as would be expected from a book about a girl with cancer.  This is a FUNNY book. Narrated by Greg, a guy who knows exactly how to survive in high school: blend in... everywhere, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is filled with a fresh voice that is one I could not help but love. The humour is a bit immature at times, sure, but I personally love that kind of stuff and therefore, this book kept me laughing until I was almost in tears.

So Greg is "Me"... then we have Earl. Earl was a character that I can't seem to put my finger on my feelings for. He is a very unique character, very genuine and original. There were times where I was a bit confused as to what he was saying, which is odd for a book, but that's what made him Earl. He was rude and he had a dirty mouth and a serious anger issue, but he also saw things for what they were. I think Earl might have been my favourite character... but I'm not sure. Then there was "The Dying Girl," Rachel. The thing about Rachel was that there wasn't really anything special about her, at least from Greg's perspective and so, that's how we saw her. She was just... normal. BUT I LIKED THAT. She was someone the reader could connect with during all the oddness that is this book.

Overall, this book is one that is hilarious while tragic and is one of the most unique books I have ever read. Andrews' style is fresh and new and I am anxious to see what else he can come up with. I'm going to link Raeleen's video review of this book here so that you can go watch it and then go read this book, because she'll probably convince you to read it. Also, here's a GIF she made that also kind of describes how I feel about this book:


Okay, so yes, this book was totally awesome and weird and different and I loved it a lot! I highly recommend it to anyone who has been craving something that is not at all like the usual YA contemporary novel!

.5


I'm so sorry for the super late review and no TGIF post this week.. I've been extremely busy lately and am taking this weekend to get back on schedule! I promise it will be back to normal, soon!

Happy reading!
~Kristy

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this book and I'm glad you did too! You're right, it definitely was unique and it was refreshing to read it tackle a topic in such a way. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. I've seen it around and I liked the cover, but I think this is the first review I've read, and I have been on the lookout for something a little bit different - great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...