Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Wednesday 14 August 2013

Review: Uninvited by Leah Spiegel & Meg Summers (+Guest Post)



Author: Leah Spiegel and Meg Summers
Page Count: 302 pages, eBook
Date Published: February 11th 2012
Find it on Goodreads: Uninvited
Source: Copy for review for tour from author


When Alley started her senior year at Upper East High in the South Hills area, it was supposed to be the usual drag of hanging out with people who spent more on one outfit than Alley did on her entire wardrobe. That was until Kirsten, a girl in their clique, suddenly goes missing and the only people who seem to care are her friends. All evidence leads to the new comer Shane, a cocky and self-pretentious person in Alley’s opinion, but the police seem uninterested so she and the rest of the girls start a little investigation of their own. But they are nowhere closer to finding Kirsten than when they started and now they had the police’s attention; just not in the way they expected. The girls have to start over and discover that maybe it wasn’t an outsider who took Kirsten, but someone within their own clique who has something to hide; a secret that just might have gotten Kirsten killed.



Uninvited is a book that I wouldn't normally think I'd enjoy, but surprisingly, I did! It was a fun read with a bit of a Pretty Little Liar's vibe, as it involves some sleuthing and mystery, as well as your typical teenage girl drama with cliques, bullying and family issues. But, when I say PLL, it's definitely not the exact same, so don't fret if you're not a PLL fan!

This was a light read for me, one that I read pretty quickly. While there was some predictability when it came to the plot, I was still surprised by some of the little twists and turns and that kept me reading, because I love mysteries, if they can keep me guessing the whole way through! The only thing that I really didn't enjoy was the repetition of phrases and the constant brand-dropping. There comes a point where a Thesaurus is really handy.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a fun mystery novel with a high school setting and even a bit of romance on the side! Enjoy!


.5



EXCERPT:

~A few serious looking lifters, wearing do rags over top of their heads, paused to watch us enter the main floor of the gym. I would have thought the wind was blowing through our hair like how it happens in movies by the way their mouths dropped at the sight of us. Feeling like hot stuff, I tried to hold back a smile until he led us off to a side room and explained, “First, I have to measure you.”
“Lord have mercy,” Kayla groaned.
“What did you sign me up for?” I hissed at Val, but she just grimaced and shrugged.
“Is it too late to turn around?” Kayla groaned.
“So who’s first?” Kellen asked brightly.
Kayla and I shrunk back from the rest of the group, but Libby, who had the figure of a stick, confidently strode forward and held her arms out with a smug smile on her face as he took measurements.
“Anorexic,” Kayla coughed, and both our shoulders shook in silent laughter.


"Author can pick one:
1. Creating believable characters
2. A day in the life of the author
3. How to deal with procrastination"

Leah doesn’t have a problem with procrastination. She doesn’t do anything half-way. Number 2 is easy. Leah: get up, write, play with dogs, write, go to the gym, cook dinner, plan with Megan, play with dogs, and then hang out with the family. Megan: get up, teach, go the gym, plan with Leah, hang out with the family. Number 1 is all Leah, once she figures out the characters most predominate trait, she keeps that in mind with every decision the character makes so they never do anything that goes against their deepest desire. 



Although we moved down to North Carolina several years ago, we’re originally from the Pittsburgh area. (That’s why a lot of our characters either live in the Burgh or reference our hometown football team, The Pittsburgh Steelers.) And yes, we even have the Southern accents to show for it now. Although Megan’s is considerable thicker, Leah still can’t understand the locals.We are known as ‘the sisters’ among our neighborhood; when actually we’re probably really known as ‘the sisters with the Yorkies’. Our pups, Skippy Jon Jones and Captain Jack Sparrow, were given long names to compensate for their small size but not their large personalities.If Leah’s not glued to her electronic devices, AKA her Kindle Fire and various laptops, you can find her training ‘the attack dogs’, running on the treadmill while conceiving the next great book idea with the Dave Matthews Band, Muse, Florence and the Machine, The Lumineers, and Pink (just to name a few) blaring out of her earphones.If Megan’s not glued to her electronic devices AKA her iPad and Nook Color, you can find her teaching fourth graders, swimming marathon style at the pool, or cuddling with ‘the attack dogs’ as she watches Duck Dynasty, Gold Rush, Scandal, Person of Interest, Morning Joe, etc.Leah graduated from Edinboro University with a BA in Art Education. Megan received her teaching degree from Edinboro University and Masters in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in Technology from Grand Canyon University. 



2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it, Kristy! I do like a good fun, fluffy read sometimes. This also reminds me I should get on the PLL train! I did read the first 3 of that series and then never kept going for no reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite some predictability, I'm glad you had fun with this book. :) I agree with Giselle. It's nice to get something light and fluffy sometimes. Awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...