Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Monday 3 March 2014

Review: A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Author: George R. R. Martin
Publisher: Bantam Spectra
Page Count:  835 Pages, Paperback
Date Published: August 6th, 1996
Find it on Goodreads: A Game of Thrones
Source: Purchased


Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.
As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stark counts it a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand. His honour weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will, not what he must … and a dead enemy is a thing of beauty.
The old gods have no power in the south, Stark’s family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.






As a huge fan of the HBO show based on these novels, I was super excited to read them, yet nervous as well! They're huge and kind of daunting, but SO worth it.

One thing I heard about these books that turned people off from them was that there are a LOT of characters. The chapters alternate POVs between many characters throughout the world of GoT, but I guess because I know the characters from the show, I found it easier to follow along in my head. There were, of course, some points of confusion with a few of the characters, but for the most part I found it pretty easy to know who was who and where they were and what they were doing. I absolutely adore Tyrion Lannister, but I'm also biased because he's my favourite in the show, so it's hard not to love him... Then of course the Starks (and Jon!!!) and Daenerys... I just adore so many of these characters so much and cannot wait to see them grow (and most likely die -_-) in the future books. I know not to get too attached to anyone, but it's hard, reading about them instead of watching them and learning even more about these beloved characters and knowing their fate... I just...



I absolutely love the world George R.R. Martin has created.. It's filled with intriguing characters and a complex land filled with wonders and horrors that are so impressive. I love stories about kings and this is such an ultimate story of a fight for the throne. I find it fascinating, reading these epic fantasies that are so immense... The work that goes into them is insane and I appreciate every minute that any author puts into their work, so man oh man, my appreciation for this series is huge. I'm so excited to read on and meet new characters and see the lovely Sansa grow (she's one of my faves) and read more of Tyrion's amazing wit and insight. I will have tissues ready on hand for all the inevitable deaths and I'll try not to get too attached to anyone, even though it will be hard. And I will wait for the day that Joffrey dies a slow and painful death.  I mean....

One thing for sure, I haven't been able to get A Song of Ice and Fire out of my head. I cannot stop thinking about what will happen next in the book (I'm reading A Clash of Kings right now!) and I'm seriously SO EXCITED for season 4 to come out on April 6th... This story is constantly in my head and I hope everyone will take the time to even just try it out, whether it be the show or the books (I know they're huge, but they're worth it!!!). It's not for everyone, I know, but I most definitely love this story.

Happy reading!
~Kristy

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book too- I reward the next three pretty quickly but got stuck after the fourth! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...